Monday, October 8, 2007

Interesting. Very interesting.

So, the weekend was a whirlwind, per the norm. Now that I have school AND my part-time job AND the photography business, life just goes non-stop. I woke up, did chores, studied while Gus took Chie to the alumni soccer game (it was homecoming weekend at the school where he attended kindergarten through high school and the evening was packed with events, a few of which we attended), and then met them the alumni lunch. Good connections were made and Gus got some fun shots which are up on our photography blog (here). Then I took the Pea home to nap, and then Gus and I traded so that I could go up to work. I think we had dinner, but I honestly don't remember.

Sunday was pretty much the same. We made a more diligent effort to watch our church's general conference but with a toddler traipsing around, I'm not sure how much I really heard. I did get a lot of the house cleaned up and did about seven loads of laundry-- I do small, segmented loads-- and that was nice. Gus made some headway on the website redesign that he's working on for a client and that was nice too. Then I headed up to my office on campus to work on my practicum. And then I came home, chilled a bit, and then made one more trip up to work to finish some filing. Gus made dinner while I was gone and I finally ate at about 9. Woo hoo.

I know, it doesn't sound that interesting, but one very profound thing did come out of the weekend, and that is that I might be changing my major to graphic design. Huge. This is huge. I'm currently a social sciences/psych major, and have had the dream for about ten years to segue from that into grad school in counseling into a practice. But here's the rub: we've now embarked on this completely different path with our business, and I'm really, really loving what we're doing. And the more I've thought about it over the last several weeks the more that I think that diverting my attention to a totally different thing than building the business just seems... odd. I still love the idea of counseling people but I know that I can do that later. When I went to the Lewis and Clark info session, there were two people there in their mid-50's that were making a complete shift into counseling, and the advisors were like, "Yeah, we have people do this all the time." I already have the psych background and I could do post-bac courses if needed. But for now, this may be the more judicious route. If I've calculated correctly, it would only be one more term in school, I'd finally have my degree, and I'd have a much broader base for serving our clients to boot. I have a meeting with an advisor on the 22nd and I'll go from there.

No comments: