Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Dwindling Sunshine

The day is gorgeous and I know that we don't have many of those left. So we just went on a little outing: to American Apparel, to check out sizing to order stuff for fall, and then to get some gelato at Mio. I fed Chie little tastes until we got to one that didn't make her make a face, and so we ended up with a giant scoop of mango. I love it when they give you way more than they have to. We sat outside and ate it together, and she looked so grown up, sitting straight with her hands in her lap. It was great fun. And then, just as we were leaving, I saw a woman walking towards us who looked very familiar. After a moment, I realized that it was my Writing 121 prof from my freshman year at PSU. Adria was one of my champions, a woman who has a lot of influence on my current conception of literature and life, and it was a joy to run into her. We chatted for a while until Chie got impatient and then made tentative plans to get together for Japanese food sometime next week (her husband lived in Japan for 12 years and teaches Japanese literature, and mine, well, you know).

Now I'm trying to make myself work...

No comments: